Find Postgraduate Degree in the UAE
Master’s Degrees – Postgraduate Academic Degrees
Nearly every field of study provides students the opportunity to advance their knowledge by earning a Master’s degree. Master’s degrees in the UAE are the first level of graduate studies. Students who go on to obtain them gain specialised knowledge in their field. For example, a student who received a Bachelor’s degree in architecture could go on to learn about, and earn a Master’s degree in environmental design.
What Is a Master’s Program?
The goal of a Master’s program is to provide students with more knowledge and a better skill set to help them excel in their chosen career path. Master’s programs are available in nearly every field in sciences, and the arts, and each program will vary based on the field’s particular needs. There are some things to keep in mind if you hope to earn a Master’s degree in the UAE.
- Availability of schools: The Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research oversees all government institutions, which are only open to UAE nationals. International students are welcome to attend the private colleges or universities. The UAE established a technically-oriented college system in 1988. Today, 16 men’s and women’s colleges provide many programs on modern campuses outfitted with cutting-edge technology.
- Application requirements: Students who wish to obtain a Master’s degree must have graduated high school and earned a Bachelor’s degree. Colleges and universities must receive all applications by June. Students must complete a thesis before graduating.
- Language requirements: Most professors in UAE colleges and universities teach in English.
- Length of courses: Master’s programs are usually full time and take one or two years to complete. However, some students choose to go part time or online, and may take up to five years to complete courses. The school year runs from September to June and falls into three separate semesters: fall, spring and summer.
- More personal education: Because fewer people enter Master’s programs than Bachelor’s programs, the student to teacher ratio is often smaller. Smaller classes make it easier for students to receive individualised help as they need it.
- Popular subjects: Master’s degrees are available in a wide range of subjects. Some of the most popular include; architecture, dentistry, engineering, medicine, law, education and business.
- Stepping stone: For many, a Master’s degree is a stepping stone to earning a PhD in their field. Master’s degrees provide a more in-depth understanding that allows students to think more creatively and philosophically, a trait that will aid them should they decide to earn a PhD.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s?
There are several benefits to getting a Master’s degree. Because students who receive Master’s degrees were able to focus on a specific area, they often feel that their work is more satisfying than if they’d just earned a Bachelor’s degree. Better opportunities are another benefit; people who have a Master’s degree are more likely to receive promotions and more interesting opportunities, especially if they work in technical fields such as science and engineering.
One important benefit of a Master’s degree is better pay. People who have a Master’s could earn considerably more money, especially in in-demand fields of study. The job security is better as well because people with Master’s degrees are considered more valuable workers than those without lesser degrees. Finally, Master’s degrees allow people to teach others who want to enter the same field of work.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s?
The career opportunities available to students who earn a Master’s degree are vast, although the specifics depend on the individual field of study. More than 200 different Master’s programs are available in the UAE, many of which fall under engineering or business administration. In general, those who earn a Master’s degree can expect to have the opportunity to manage others and lead larger projects in general. They will also be able to teach at many educational institutions, including colleges, universities, technical schools and even high schools.
It is considered a rare and desirable trait for someone to have a Master’s degree. Many companies will interview and hire people who have a master's before they see other candidates. This is true even if the specific job does not require a Master’s degree.