Find Masters in ReligionCreate Account
Master Degree Programs in Religion
A Master’s program generally lasts between one and two years depending on the requirements of the academic curriculum. Students pursuing this degree have already completed an undergraduate program and wish to sharpen their professional skill sets. Most Master’s programs prefer the undergraduate degree subject be the same or comparable to the Master’s focus.
What Is a Master’s Program in Religion?
A Master’s program in Religion can focus on historical, theoretical and cultural perspectives. Students are free to study past religions and religious events or they may closely study current dilemmas and issues within the religious sector. Some programs will require students to learn a language so as to study original religious texts in-depth. Many Master’s programs will offer students the chance to specialise in areas like:
- Medieval and Modern Christianity: Students take a holistic look at Christianity and focus on its cultural influence from medieval times onward. For context, courses may venture further back in Christianity’s history.
- African American Religion: Students closely examine the role of religion and its evolution within the African Diaspora. For great understanding, students may study native African religions and Western religious beliefs.
- Islamic History and Thought: The course examines Islamic history from its beginning to its current cultural relevance. Students study the cultural contexts that help Islamic doctrines evolve into their current expression.
- Judaism: Depending on the scope of the course, students may study the historical origins of Judaism, current practices in Judaism and/or modern Judaism ethical issues.
- Asian Religions: Students may choose to further specialise through studying a specific region. For example, students may focus on eastern Asian schools of though like Buddhism and Confucianism.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Religion?
After completing their Master’s in Religion, graduates enter the job market with competitive credentials and highly developed professional knowledge. Employers are frequently willing to offer higher starting salaries and career salaries because of the Master’s degree. Graduates also generally qualify for a greater range of positions with their Master’s credential. Additionally, when looking for employment, students can tap their network of professors, peers, mentors and tutors.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Religion?
Graduates of this program may transition into Doctorate programs in the field of religion. Others will move directly into the job market in a variety of entrance level positions. Many graduates will find employment with these titles:
- Clergy: These professionals spread a specific religious doctrine and serve to guide congregation members in spiritual maters. They may perform or guide ceremonies and rituals like weddings, bar mitzvahs and funerals.
- Educators: Some colleges and universities are happy to accept professors with Master’s credentials. Other graduates will teach religious studies at the secondary level and frequently at private and/or religious-based educational facilities.
- Director of Religious Activities: These professionals frequently work in religious schools or institutions. They develop educational programs and fellowship activities for their religious facility.
Do Master degree programs in Religion give you a little jolt of excitement when you think of them? That’s a sign it’s the right academic path for you, so start looking for the right program immediately.
Dublin 2, Ireland
- 115SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,406Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Lincoln, United Kingdom
- 150SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,137Average Tuition
- 83%Acceptance Rate
Bishop Grosseteste University’s (BGU) single-site campus is located in the historic city of Lincoln, United Kingdom. BGU offers a range of master’s degree programs across its academic schools....
Tallahassee, United States
- 213SchoolApply Rank
- USD 20,043Average Tuition
- 55%Acceptance Rate
Florida State University, established in 1851, is a research-intensive University located on the oldest continuous site of higher education in the state of Florida in its capital city of Tallahassee, USA. The University offers a number of master's degree programs from its various Colleges including Fine Arts, Business, Engineering and Arts & Sciences....
Bangor, United Kingdom
- 308SchoolApply Rank
- USD 19,152Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Bangor University (Bangor) is located in Bangor, in coastal Wales, United Kingdom. Bangor offers over a 100 master’s degree courses through its 3 academic colleges, namely: the College of Arts, Humanities and Business; the College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering; and the College of Human Sciences....
- 389SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,743Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Located in the heart of Saskatoon, the University of Saskatchewan (uSask) is one of Canada's top public research universities. Founded in 1907, it offers a wide variety of master's degree programs such as Business, Law, Sciences, Engineering and Health....
Los Angeles, United States
- 604SchoolApply Rank
- USD 11,200Average Tuition
- 62%Acceptance Rate
Mount St. Mary's University is a Catholic higher education institution for women with two campuses in Los Angeles. It offers bachelor's and master's degree programs related to liberal arts concentrations. Mount St. Mary's University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges....
Wilkes-Barre, United States
- 626SchoolApply Rank
- USD 10,560Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
King's College is a Catholic, liberal arts college located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The college offers bachelor's and master's degree programs through the Arts and Sciences College and the William G. McGowan School of Business....
- 661SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,896Average Tuition
- 85%Acceptance Rate
CSU is committed to excellence in the courses it offers, in the experience of our students as part of our community, and in the depth and breadth of our research. Graduates of Charles Sturt University are helping to overcome the shortages in the professional workforce not only in regional Australia, but across the country and the world. Some of CSUs notables are Kieran M Moore FPRIA, Doug Bagley and Nicky McCall....
Livonia, United States
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 28,310Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Madonna University, established in 1937, is an inclusive Catholic Liberal Arts University located in Livonia in Michigan, USA. The University offers a number of master's degree programs through its schools and Colleges such as Business, Arts & Humanities, Nursing & Health and Education....
Wrexham, United Kingdom
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,054Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Wrexham Glyndwr University is located in Wrexham, Wales. It offers undergraduate degrees in 14 course areas that include Animal and Plant Biology, Complementary Medicine and Creative Media Technology. The university also offers postgraduate degrees, and research programs for PhD and MPhil. In addition to those undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, the university also has a two year fast track degree, that allows you to earn your degree in two years instead of three....