Find Best Schools for Master's in Public Health in the USCreate Account
Master's in Public Health in the US gives students a prestigious education in health systems, bio-statistics, behavioral sciences, and epidemiology. Pursuing a degree in public health is a wonderful choice for international students who have a passion for learning how healthcare is implemented in communities throughout the country.
What is a Master's in Public Health?
Several offer this degree with varying specialisations, including public policy, medical research, environmental health, and nutrition. The basic framework of a Master's in Public Health program includes:
- Courses in healthcare policy.
- Lecture courses and seminars in theories of public health.
- Electives to study other relative topics.
- A thesis, dissertation, or mentored project.
There are a variety of innovative institutions in the US that exist to help aspiring healthcare professionals develop their skills. Studying public health in the US is a great way for international students to learn in a culturally diverse environment.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master's in Public Health in the US?
Individuals should consider earning a Master's in Public Health in the US for several reasons, such as:
- Diverse choices in terms of choosing an area of focus.
- Excellent chance to immerse oneself into the complex and rewarding world of public healthcare.
- Choosing between the best healthcare programs across the globe, including John Hopkins University, Harvard University, Columbia University, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, and University of California - Berkeley.
Public health programs in the US prepare students for careers that utilise their knowledge and skills to research, guide, and implement healthcare policies that will benefit communities across the country. Many US universities partner with local medical facilities to offer internships, career training, and research opportunities in the healthcare industry. After completion of such opportunities, some students have the opportunity to get full-time jobs in public health.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect with a Master's in Public Health?
Graduate students in public health develop highly desirable scientific, medical, and management skills. All the opportunities available for public health students are exciting. Many graduates find jobs with healthcare organizations, government agencies, or non-profit organizations. They may work on a global, national, or local level. The main goal of any public health professional is to equip communities with the tools necessary to prevent health threats. Along with a career in healthcare, graduates may consider a career in healthcare education.
Health Administrators provide effective and sustainable medical services. Some may oversee entire hospital systems, while others manage specific departments. They must balance business, politics, and science. Job duties include:
- Setting rates and planning budgets for health services.
- Recruiting, hiring, and evaluating administrators, nurses, and doctors.
- Organizing and coordinating health services according to policies.
- Developing programs for research.
- Participating in community health planning.
- Creating procedures for patient services, quality assurance, and medical treatments.
- Ensuring that services comply with laws and regulations.
- Acting as liaisons among medical staff, governing boards, and department heads.
A Health Educator is another career option for graduates with a Master's in Public Health in the US. They typically work in medical facilities, public health organizations, or schools. They promote community health through rigorous research and implementing effective programs. Health educators work with doctors, nurses, and administrators to improve interactions with patients. Some health educators may choose to focus on particular areas of health practices, such as mental health or nutrition. Other job duties include:
- Providing health information or services.
- Developing relationships with organizations and agencies interested in healthcare.
- Advocating for improved policies and resources.
- Developing training, community presentations, and conferences.
- Supervising technical and professional staff.
Nutritionists recommend healthy habits and encourage eating healthful foods. They work to ensure communities and individuals are maintaining healthy lifestyles. Topics covered include diet and disease prevention.
There are some entry-level positions within health administration and education that are obtainable with a Bachelor's degree. However, most healthcare facilities, universities, and government agencies require individuals to have a wealth of experience. These individuals are also typically encouraged to continue deeper educational pursuits. Applicants with a Master's in Public Health in the US are more desirable because of the readiness and professionalism that comes with the degree.
A diverse selection of Master's in Public Health programs in the US is available. Pursue your education and career in public health and start considering your options today.
Salt Lake City, United States
- 187SchoolApply Rank
- USD 21,296Average Tuition
- 81.7%Acceptance Rate
University of Utah (the U) is a research-focused university located in Utah, United States, with it’s Asia campus located in South Korea. The U offers a wide range of master’s degree programs across nearly a 100 academic departments. These departments include Architecture, Biochemistry, Computing, Environmental Engineering, and Philosophy....
Tampa, United States
- 264SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,900Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research institution located in the city of Tampa, Florida, United States. The university has three campuses through which it delivers master’s degree courses in the fields of health professions and related programs, business, management, marketing, and related support services, biological and biomedical sciences, social sciences, psychology, architecture, liberal arts, education and visual and performing arts....
Garden City, United States
- 277SchoolApply Rank
- USD 34,034Average Tuition
- 72.4%Acceptance Rate
Adelphi University is a private, coeducational institution of higher learning located in Garden City, New York, United States and has a dedicated faculty through which it offers a wide range of master's degree programs. ...
Denver, United States
- 284SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,993Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) is a public institution with its main campus located in Denver, Colorado, U.S.A. CU Denver offers a wide range of master's degree programs through its eight academic faculties including: Business School; School of Education and Human Development; College of Architecture and Planning; and Graduate School....