Find Top Schools for Master’s in Philosophy in CanadaCreate Account
Master’s in Philosophy in Canada
Why do we exist? What is the individual’s role in a society? These are questions that have perplexed great minds since the dawn of humanity. If these questions intrigue you, you may want to consider earning a Master’s in Philosophy in Canada. This degree programme will help you explore various theoretical and metaphysical aspects of life and thought. A heavy emphasis will be placed on critical thinking, and you may even have an opportunity to specialise in a particular branch of philosophy. In Canada, you will need a bachelor’s degree in order to gain entry to a Master’s in Philosophy programme.
What is a Master’s in Philosophy?
Philosophy is essentially the study of reason, values, life, and language. In a master’s programme, you will explore all of these facets in great detail. A heavy emphasis is placed on questioning and debating, so you will have to learn how to assemble a logical argument. Students may be allowed to specialise in fields such as law, medicine and physics. In your philosophy programme, you will more than likely do the following.
- Take courses in the theory of knowledge, logic, epistemology, and the philosophy of linguistics.
- Write a thesis or dissertation prior to graduation.
- Debate important social, religious and medical topics with others.
- Attend lectures and seminars on a regular basis.
Depending on where you enrol, you may be able to major in two subjects concurrently. Since philosophy impacts so many areas of study, students often earn degrees in subjects such as economics, psychology, and sociology. You should contact your programme of choice for more information on this matter.
What are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Philosophy in Canada?
There are numerous benefits to earning this degree. You will reap some of these benefits on a personal level and others on a professional level. Simply put, as a graduate philosophy student in Canada, you may gain the following advantages.
- If you are concerned about financial stability, you may want to earn a master’s degree. Most studies show a strong correlation between education levels and income.
- As a master’s student, you are probably interested in earning a postgraduate degree. The knowledge and research skills you acquire in the master’s programme will be immensely helpful during your doctoral programme.
- A Master’s in Philosophy is an extremely versatile degree. Philosophy influences almost every aspect of the legal, medical, educational, and religious elements in human civilisation. This means that you will be able to find employment in a variety of fields.
- Canada is home to some of the leading philosophy programmes in the world. This means that you will have the opportunity to earn a quality education and advance your career.
The benefits that you experience will be influenced by a variety of factors. Your professional performance and the country that you live in will be the greatest two factors. In general, individuals who excel in the programme will reap the most benefits.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Philosophy?
If you are like most graduate students, you are probably interested in what happens after you earn your master’s. The vast majority of philosophy students elect to work in the academic field. Many work as college professors, writers, and researchers. They help educate the next generation of philosophers and often publish material in various academic journals. A significant portion of these individuals may even publish books on specific topics. As mentioned above, most philosophers choose to explore a specific branch of the subject. Many scholars elect to explore how philosophy impacts social interactions and political structures.
Some philosophy students end up in related fields. Since philosophy teaches individuals how to think, philosophers make excellent doctors, lawyers, and businesspersons. Their ability to assemble arguments and use reasoning helps them to excel in the legal field. Some choose to work as consultants, helping companies understand what actions they should take in regards to operations and employees. Others work as economist or psychologists. As a philosophy student, your ability to do the following will make you highly employable in the legal and business world.
- Examine issues from various perspectives.
- Uncover assumptions, and implement alternative solutions.
- Solve problems and investigate causes.
- Make decisions based on facts, not theories or emotions.
Other career paths for philosophy students include:
Do not hesitate any longer. Find a Canadian philosophy programme that appeals to you and apply today.
- 708SchoolApply Rank
- USD 8,380Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Regina (U of R) has campuses in Regina and Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, Canada. Home to 10 faculties, U of R offers masters degrees in a wide range of programs....
Saint Catharines, Canada
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 18,004Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Brock University is a public, research university located in St. Catharines, Ontario. The university offers bachelor's and master's degree programs through seven schools and faculties that include the Goodman School of Business, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, and the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts....