Find Master’s in Dance Graduate Degree
Master’s in Dance
A Master’s in Dance offers students focused study of dance history, theory and performance that advances beyond that covered in an undergraduate program. The degree is awarded at the graduate level and incorporates a focus on liberal arts. Students who enter this program can expect a healthy dose of both classroom study and studio practice. There are many universities in the UK, US and other countries that offer this degree, so if you are ready to take your dance expertise to the next level, this program may be the next step for you.
What is a Master’s in Dance?
A Master’s in Dance takes the foundational knowledge typically covered in an undergraduate program and delves deeper. Topics include theory of dance, dance in a cultural context and professional performance techniques. Some of the courses that may be included in a Master’s in Dance curriculum include these:
- Music for Dance Performance
- Stagecraft and Lighting Design
- Experiential Anatomy
- Advanced Choreography
- Understanding Human Movement
Students can develop their understanding and abilities through these courses and take on more challenging dance techniques. Specific tracks such as classical, hip hop or ballet may be available for students to select from.
What Are the Benefits of Earning a Master’s in Dance?
A Master’s in Dance can offer students a range of benefits and opportunities. Dance is an expressive, engaging discipline that offers a creative outlet for performers and viewers alike. Completion of a Master’s degree in the discipline can open more opportunities. With it, you can share your love of dance and collaborate with similarly artistic people. Other benefits of the program include some of these potential advantages:
- Earning an accredited Master’s degree may qualify you to pursue further study at the doctorate level.
- Training provided in studio courses builds the skills necessary for a career in dance.
- The degree may provide expertise that is beneficial to students who want to open their own studios or manage a dance troupe.
- Internships incorporated into the program can provide experience dancing professionally.
- You may command a higher salary with a Master’s Degree in hand.
There are plenty of ways to use a Master’s in Dance and maximize its benefit to your career. Your unique aspirations will guide the way and determine the opportunities you pursue.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Dance?
A Master’s in Dance can provide an impressive range of exciting career opportunities. Most graduates, of course, pursue work as a dancer. You may find such positions at theaters, touring companies or private studios. Your advanced degree may also qualify you to teach other aspiring dancers in an academic, class or studio environment.
If you find yourself more interested in directing than performing, working as a choreographer may be the right choice. This position would typically consist of activities such as these:
- Coordinate individual or group dance routines
- Select music for performances
- Train dancers in technique and movement
- Create new dance movements for performance
- Direct and manage dancers
There are no limits to what you can do with a Master’s in Dance. There are plenty of schools to earn yours at, so if you are ready to get moving, start your research today.