Find Master’s in Education
Master’s in Education
A Master’s in Education is a graduate degree awarded to students who complete a prescribed curriculum in topics such as teaching theory and educational practicum. It can be a terminal degree, but students also commonly move to doctorate study in education after completion. The coursework typically takes an interdisciplinary approach to exploring the role of instruction, curriculum and interaction in the classroom. Specialized tracks of study such as school counseling, school administration and remedial education may be available in certain programs.
What is a Master’s in Education?
A Master’s in Education is a great opportunity to hone your understanding of classroom dynamics and develop advanced teaching techniques. Coursework in the program typically focuses on development of students’ teaching techniques and familiarity with educational theory. Some of the classes that might be found in the program include these:
- Advanced School Counseling
- Academic Enrichment
- Advanced Curriculum and Instruction
- Applied Teaching Theories
- Culture in the Classroom
Some of these classes may be part of a specialized focus, but no matter what track you take, you can expect an emphasis on curriculum and teaching. If education is your passion, you can explore it fully in this program.
What Are the Benefits of Earning a Master’s in Education?
Creatively developing teaching techniques and learning more about the context of curriculum are just a few of the benefits you can enjoy in earning a Master’s in Education. There are plenty of other reasons to enroll in the program, too, though. Some of the other benefits include these:
- A Master’s in Education may allow you to pursue more advanced positions, such as principal.
- An accredited Master’s degree also qualifies you to continue to study at the doctorate level.
- You can command a higher salary in educational positions with a Master’s degree.
- You can usually select an emphasis for your coursework that reflects your goals in education.
These aspects of the degree make it a great choice for students who are interested in teaching and improving their curricula.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Education?
The most obvious profession for Master’s in Education graduates to enter is teaching, but there are plenty of other positions where you can put your expertise to use, too. Other potential career paths include curriculum developer, director of instruction, school administrator or school counselor.
If you do pursue teaching, however, there are many ways in which you can apply the skills gained from a Master’s in Education to your work in the classroom. Some of these include the following:
- Interact with students in a positive and constructive manner
- Instruct class with intention and focus on curriculum
- Respond to problems and disruptions by deescalating the issue
- Develop new curricula in response to needs and deficiencies
- Apply teaching theories to best meet needs of students
These skills are a direct application of knowledge gained from the program, and they can improve your teaching.
There are schools throughout the UK, US and other countries that offer the Master’s in Education degree. You can find the one that is right for you by starting your research today.