Find Master’s in Animation in the United Kingdom
Top Master’s in Animation in the United Kingdom
A Bachelor’s degree takes around four years to complete and is useful when it comes time to find a job and start on a career. However, it seems that more employers these days require even entry-level employees to have a postgraduate education. Earning your Master’s degree in any field allows you one to two extra years to fine tune your knowledge and skills in a given area. This can make you more desirable to employers. If you love cinema, television, and art, then you might choose to hone your gifts with a Master’s in Animation in the United Kingdom. Some of the best options to pursue an animation degree in the UK include
- Coventry University
- University of the West of England
- University of the Arts London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Dundee – School of Business
- University for the Creative Arts
- University of Kent
What Is a Master’s in Animation?
Animation is the art of drawing and movement. While traditional animation focuses on creating images by hand, computer animation is a modern art from that is also quite popular. Students in such programs need not only artistic skill but also a thorough understanding computer animation software. Most programs require students to complete an animation project and portfolio showcasing their knowledge and skills. Coursework may include
- History of Animation
- Motion Drawing
- 3D Effects
- Character Creation
- Modelling and Design on Computers
While program requirements might seem simple, many animation programs are competitive and require great skill for consideration of admittance. Students must complete portfolios that includes projects, sketchbooks, life drawings, and even essays in some cases. International students must provide proof of English proficiency because the primary language of UK universities is English.
There are a few universities that might offer certain animation courses online. However, it is important to consider the benefits of attending a class on campus. It also may be difficult to find an entire Master’s program for animation online. Students in search of such distance learning options should carefully research programs to ensure their program of choice meets academic and ultimate career goals.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Animation?
Earning your Master’s in Animation makes you more desirable to big production studios that focus on animated projects. The degree program offers you one to two extra years to hone your drawing skills and understanding of the animation process as well as build your portfolio. However, there are also benefits to earning your degree at a university in the UK:
- Learn from professional animators. Most faculty members in animation programs have professional experience working with production studios. As a student, you can get direct instruction from those who know how the industry really works.
- Access the latest software and programs. Universities fund students with equipment including software and programs on which to learn their skills. This includes the latest animation programs and computer operating systems that production companies use. You may access these at little to no cost while you are a student.
- Collaborate with other talented students. It takes skill to get into an animation program. You will have the opportunity to work with talented peers and start building a network to help you throughout your career.
- Network with companies and professionals in the industry. Building a network of fellow students is useful, but don’t forget about networking with current professionals. From seminars to lectures, you may be able to meet some of the leaders in the industry and get their information.
- Get inspiration from your surroundings. The UK is as rich in natural scenery as it is in culture and history. It has long been the inspiration for many productions, both live action and animated. Get inspired by studying in the midst of this beautiful environment.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Animation?
When people think of a career in animation, many people’s minds stop at animator. It’s true that an animator is one large part of the animation process. However, there are many different occupations that work cohesively to create even a short animated project. Some of your career options might include
- Key Artist
- Background Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Layout Artist
- Clean-up Artist
- 3D Modeller
The world of animation is exciting and inventive. If you’re ready to put your artistic skills to great use, start searching for a Master’s in Animation program in the UK right away.