Find Top Schools for Master’s in Hospitality Management in United States
Master’s in Hospitality Management in United States
A Master’s degree in hospitality management in the United States can put you in excellent position for hospitality industry careers such as event organiser, hotel manager, convention coordinator and ski resort supervisor. You can get a traditional Master’s degree or opt for one that is a MBA. In any case, with recreation, travel and tourism booming in all parts of the world, there is no doubt that there is demand for hospitality management graduates. The United States is an excellent place to study, as it offers a wide range of hospitality-related venues where students can gain practical experience.
What is a Master’s in Hospitality Management?
Many schools offer a Master’s in Hospitality Management online as well as in person. Many programmes also provide the opportunity for concentrated study in areas such as marketing, branding, service operations or management. For example, Penn State offers these areas of emphasis as well as additional areas that include food service, finance and information technology. On the other hand, Drexel University offers concentrations in global tourism, and gaming and casino management. No matter the school you attend, you can expect a few features in your programme. They include:
- The ability to choose area(s) of interest for study.
- Faculty members with many years of expertise in hospitality management.
- Seminars, required and optional, on topics such as ethics, decision-making, global issues, customer service, franchising and event planning.
- Research projects.
- The opportunity for online and evening study to fit a wide range of scheduling needs.
If you are interested in a specific area of hospitality management such as wine business, lodging, events management or casinos, it could be worth your time to investigate which schools offer such concentrations.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Hospitality Management in the United States?
The advantages to getting a Master’s degree in hospitality management in the United States are numerous. To list a select few:
- The huge range of schools and programme options; The California State University, for example, offers Master’s degrees in recreation and tourism, wine business and food service on campuses including East Bay, Northridge and Sonoma.
- Ability to customise areas of interest with school programmes.
- Opportunity to complete degrees online, making for scheduling flexibility.
- Learning from high-quality faculty members.
- Enhanced career and salary possibilities.
- Expansion of professional network contacts.
For working professionals, the flexible schedules are a huge asset and enable them to gain or continue practical work experience in venues that may include casinos, hotels and resorts while they study. In addition, many United States schools bring in guest speakers and host networking events.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect with a Master’s in Hospitality Management?
A Master’s in Hospitality Management can lead to many careers; the type of career may depend in part on the concentration or area of emphasis a student chooses. Job titles could be:
- Food service manager
- Marketing coordinator
- Branding specialist
- Convention coordinator
- Casino manager
- Catering business owner
- Tour leader
A food service manager supervises the day-to-day operations of a business such as a restaurant; these managers can also work for places such as casinos and ski resorts. They work in areas such as hiring, training, budgeting, ordering, inventory and complying with governmental regulations.
A convention coordinator may also be called a meeting, convention or event planner. This person plans conventions from beginning to end (and beyond), supervising aspects such as travel, equipment setup and lodging. Job responsibilities entail:
- Discussing convention needs with clients.
- Analysing bids from businesses such as hotels, restaurants and transportation services.
- Tracking logistics such as whether flights for key speakers are on time.
People such as convention service managers may work for hotels or resorts to focus on the business that conventions bring. Their jobs are very similar to convention coordinators’ jobs.
While a career in hospitality management is certainly possible with a Bachelor’s degree, a Master’s degree opens up many career possibilities and often leads to increased salaries. In the eyes of employers, the Master’s degree often substitutes for years of work experience and may be required for certain positions, especially those that are managerial or supervisory. Many people also get a Master’s degree on the way to a Doctorate in Hospitality Management.
Begin today to investigate the many impressive Master’s in Hospitality Management programmes in the United States. If a specific area of hospitality management interests you, you may be able to find schools offering concentrations in that area.