Find Bachelor in Library and Information ScienceCreate Account
Bachelor Degree Programmes in Library and Information Science
A Bachelor in Library and Information Science could be the perfect choice for individuals with a passion for information management. This degree prepares graduates for a variety of careers related to collecting, analyzing and sharing information. Such positions can be found in virtually every sector and industry, providing graduates with a wide job pool and exciting opportunities to choose from.
What is a Bachelor in Library and Information Science?
A Bachelor in Library and Information Science focuses on the fundamentals of proper collection and storing of information. As technologies evolve, many programmes incorporate an understanding of relevant technology and software, including online catalogues. To aid in graduates being able to properly operate and navigate such systems, some institutions may offer a few applicable courses, including:
- Systems Engineering
- Database Systems Technology
- Software Engineering
Through the programme individuals also strengthen their researching, analytical, organizational, critical thinking and communications skills, amongst others. A Bachelor’s programme in general begins with coursework to help buildup students’ knowledge bases so that they have a strong foundation once they dive into their focus. This general foundation helps individuals to develop and strengthen skills relevant to any position.
What Are the Benefits of Earning a Bachelor in Library and Information Science?
There are a number of benefits to earning a Bachelor in Library and Information Science. Knowledge is power and history is necessary to understanding and unlocking the keys to future success. Therefore, there will always be a need for those with the intricate understanding of proper information management strategies and implementation.
Having a Bachelor’s in general provides certain benefits.
- Career satisfaction. Studies show that individuals who secure positions that utilise a large part of their skill sets tend to show higher signs of job satisfaction. Obtaining a Bachelor’s can help individuals to gain such employment, which can lead to higher pay and full job satisfaction.
- Advancement. As technologies advance the requirements for various positions become higher. Also, in order to pursue graduate level studies students must first develop a base-level of education, which is often achieved through undergraduate study. Either way, a Bachelor’s can be seen as critical to academic and professional advancement.
- Networking. Networking is important for professionals and students alike. It can lead to being invited to fraternities, securing certain positions and furthering career advancement. The relationships developed in college can help students to create professional networks of individuals that they know and trust.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor in Library and Information Science?
A Bachelor’s in Library and Information Science prepares individuals for a variety of career opportunities. Commonly, individuals may choose to work in the library in a number of roles.
- Media specialist
- Head of Acquisitions
- Systems Automation Specialist
- And more
Outside of the library this degree can be utilised to secure other positions. In fact, for those with certain experience, this degree can help advance their careers. For example, those with a background in technology could apply this knowledge to further their IT careers. With the strong technology elements, this is more common than some may think. Individuals may also choose to pursue careers in education as teachers or administrators, while others may choose to open their own businesses or become consultants.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
- 190SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,985Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Wrexham Glyndwr University is located in Wrexham, Wales. It offers undergraduate degrees in 14 course areas that include Animal and Plant Biology, Complementary Medicine and Creative Media Technology. The university also offers postgraduate degrees, and research programs for PhD and MPhil. In addition to those undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, the university also has a two year fast track degree, that allows you to earn your degree in two years instead of three....
Highland Heights, United States
- 770SchoolApply Rank
- USD 19,296Average Tuition
- 90%Acceptance Rate
Northern Kentucky University (NKU) is an American Public University located in Highland Heights, Ohio, U.S.A. Through its dedicated facilities, the university offers Bachelors Degree programs in a wide variety of disciplines. ...
Cedar City, United States
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 20,288Average Tuition
- 76%Acceptance Rate
Southern Utah University (SUU) is a public institution located in Cedar City, Utah. The university offers more than 144 bachelor's degree programs across its five academic colleges namely: College of Education and Human Development; College of Humanities and Social Science; College of Performing and Visual Arts; College of Science and Engineering; School of Business; and, School of Integrative and Engaged Learning....